HELLERAU – European Centre for the Arts
HELLERAU was built in 1911 as a festival theater and educational institute for rhythmics, following the vision of the forerunner of modern architecture Heinrich Tessenow and music pedagogue Émile Jaques Dalcroze. As a cultural center of the first German garden city, the legendary building drew artists from all over Europe to Hellerau until 1914, among them Rilke, Kafka, Diaghilev, Van de Velde, Kokoschka, Gropius, Van der Rohe, Werfel, Busoni, Milhaud, Le Corbusier, Nolde and Stefan Zweig. The house was used as a military camp in the 1930s and later served as a barracks for the Soviet Army. In the 90s, the revival of the place by art began.
Today, HELLERAU - European Center for the Arts is one of the most important international centers of contemporary art in Germany and Europe. With around 250 events a year, HELLERAU acts as an interdisciplinary co-production and guest house and offers the contemporary arts of dance, theater, performance, music, media art and visual arts spaces for production and presentation. An integral part of this event is the biennial festival TONLAGEN - Dresden Days of Contemporary Music. HELLERAU. The Dresden Frankfurt Dance Company is Company in Residence. Carena Schlewitt has been artistic director since July 2018.
Do you want more information?
Do not hestitate to contact us:
Tel.: +49 (0)351 50173 113